The primary purpose for collecting personal information from individuals is to provide services to families with young children, including planning, funding, promoting, monitoring and evaluating our services. The kind of personal information we collect will depend on your relationship with Playgroup NT.
What is personal information?
Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable and may include sensitive information:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not
What is sensitive information?
In order to provide specific products, services, information or assistance or for other purposes, it may be necessary in some circumstances for Playgroup NT to collect sensitive information (which is a subset of personal information) about you.
Examples of the type of sensitive information that may be collected in such circumstances include:
- health information;
- racial or ethnic origin;
- religious beliefs or affiliations;
- professional memberships;
- membership of a trade union;
- sexual preferences or practices; or
- criminal history
Sensitive information will only be collected with the individual’s consent and the following apply:
- the information relates to the activities and functions of Playgroup NT; and
- the information relates solely to the members of Playgroup NT, or to individuals who have regular contact with Playgroup NT in connection with its activities and functions
What types of information do we collect?
The personal information we may ask for will depend on the type of relationship you have with Playgroup NT, for example, whether you are a member, client, donor, participant, job applicant, employee, volunteer or potential volunteer.
Examples of the types of information collected includes, but is not limited to:
- your contact information such as name, address, email address and phone numbers;
- dates of birth and gender
- bank account details or credit card information (for payment of membership or services);
- information from previous employers or referees; and
- specific information directly relating to a service we provide, for example, ethnicity to ensure we provide a culturally appropriate service or blue/yellow card for working with children
How do we collect information?
Playgroup NT collects personal information about an individual by way of forms filled out, face to face meetings and interviews, telephone calls, online media and forms, facsimiles, email, text messaging and sometimes through use of contractors, consultants or researchers.
When collecting personal information, only information necessary for the activities and functions of Playgroup NT will be collected and recorded. Information provided in confidence will remain confidential.
In some circumstances, Playgroup NT may receive personal information about an individual from a third party – for example, references or referrals. This information forms part of the personal information described and covered by this policy.
Why do we collect your information?
Playgroup NT will collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for a number of purposes including:
- to verify your identity;
- to provide programs and services to you, to manage and account for the programs provided and to improve these programs;
- to report to government or other funding bodies;
- to process payment and donations and provide receipts;
- to manage our relationship with you including responding to requests, queries, feedback or complaints;
- to communicate with you on a number of matters including events, causes, programs, products or services that we believe may interest you;
- to provide you with and manage access to protected areas of any Playgroup NT or related website or social media platform;
- for administrative purposes;
- to update our records and your contact details;
- for purposes relating to engagement of our employees, volunteers and contractors;
- to conduct surveys, research and evaluation activities;
- to meet regulatory obligations; and
- for any related purpose
Playgroup NT does not otherwise disclose personal information without your permission unless the disclosure is:
- Required or authorised by law, including without limitation the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act
Cookies, IP addresses and Social Media Platforms
We may gather your IP address (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the website, track users’ movement, and gather broad demographic information. This information does not identify you personally.
You may wish to participate in the various blogs, forums, and other social media platforms hosted by Playgroup NT. One of the aims of these social media platforms is to facilitate and allow you to share content. However, Playgroup NT cannot be held responsible if you share personal information on these platforms that is subsequently used, misused or otherwise appropriated by another user.
Our websites and social media platforms may contain links to other websites and platforms operated by third parties over which Playgroup NT has no control. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party websites. Third parties are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
We may send you direct marketing communications about our programs, services and events that may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). At any time you may opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications from us by contacting us or by using opt-out facilities provided in the communications.
If you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications from us, please either unsubscribe where applicable or contact us on phone 1800 171 882 or email email@example.com.
To whom do we disclose your information
We may disclose your personal information to others in order to carry out our activities. This may include:
- Our employees, volunteers or contractors;
- Our third party service providers including web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, research and marketing agencies and consultants;
- Professional advisors and experts such as accountants, solicitors and business advisors contracted as part of an engagement with Playgroup NT; government or regulatory bodies; and
- Any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent
We do not disclose your personal information to anyone otherwise than in accordance with this policy. However, we may share de-identified information for research or promotional purposes.
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
Wherever practicable, Playgroup NT will store personal information on data servers that are owned or controlled by Playgroup NT and are located in the geographical borders of Australia. However, some of your information may be transferred, stored, processed, used or disclosed overseas if our service providers are located overseas or if the information is required to be used or disclosed overseas for the purpose for which it was conveyed to Playgroup NT by the individual.
Management and security of personal information
As a condition of employment or contract, Playgroup NT’s personnel are required to respect the confidentiality of information and the privacy of individuals.
Playgroup NT will take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information it collects, uses, retains or discloses is accurate, complete and up to date and is protected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form.
As our websites and social media platforms are linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
Access, correction and privacy complaints
An individual may:
- Request access to and seek correction of their personal information held by Playgroup NT at any time;
- Make a complaint in relation to a breach of their privacy; or
You will be required to provide proof of identity in order to obtain access to your personal information.
Playgroup NT aims to provide access to your personal information within 30 days of receipt of a valid request.
There may be instance where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others, would result in a breach of confidentiality, is contrary to natural justice or is prohibited by law. If that happens we will tell you.
If you have any complaints regarding an interference with your privacy, you may contact the Chief Executive Officer in writing marked ‘confidential’ to Playgroup NT, PO Box 13, NIGHTCLIFF NT 0814 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or
At all times, privacy complaints will be:
- treated seriously;
- dealt with promptly; and
- dealt with in a confidential manner
A Playgroup NT representative will contact you after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in a timely and appropriate manner.
If you are not satisfied with our response, you can refer the matter to the Australian Information (Privacy) Commissioner (see www.oaic.gov.au).
Website & Transaction Security
At Playgroup NT, we are aware of the security and privacy issues surrounding the use of the Internet. As a result, we have taken every precaution including the use of Industry Standard 128-bit Secured Socket Layer (SSL) encryption for the transmission of credit card data and personal information when purchasing from our website. We ensure that our website is of the highest standard providing a secure facility for the safe purchase of items.
As a further precaution and to provide the absolute highest level of security and protection for our customers only a minimal amount of personal information is stored and at no point do we store credit card or bank information in our database.
If you have any questions regarding our security policy, please contact our customer support centre email@example.com.